Do you have a cellar door? You may be able to access up to $100,000 to enhance the experience.
For many wineries the cellar door presents an opportunity to showcase not only their wines but also the brand, personalities and stories that define them. This allows the customer to have the feelings of the brand lingering with them long after the taste of the wine has left the palette.
The ability to attract visitors and increase cellar door traffic provides strong growth opportunities for winemakers. Wine Australia’s 2018 direct-to-consumer survey shows cellar door sales are growing between 6 and 12 per cent every year and represent up to 44 per cent of direct-to-consumer sales (other direct channels include loyalty clubs, direct mail and phone sales).1
According to Inside Retail2 cellar doors are so successful as a retail environment because of the experience and more than just a nice view, cellar doors are increasingly investing in interesting architecture.
If you are considering developing your cellar door then the soon to be available Wine Tourism and Cellar Door Grant provides an opportunity for eligible wine producers to access funding to contribute to developing their cellar door. To be eligible, applicants must:
- be a wine producer;
- be a legal entity registered for GST and with an active ABN;
- have sold at least $1,207,000 (GST exclusive) in sales of rebatable wine in the relevant financial year;
- accrue rebatable domestic cellar door sales in excess of any such sales used to meet the $1,207,000 (GST exclusive) threshold in the relevant financial year;
- have paid the WET on all eligible sales used as part of the application;
- have owned or leased a physical cellar door in Australia in the relevant financial year; and
- have a liquor licence valid in the relevant financial year.
Eligible wine producers will be able to access an annual grant up to $100,000. Total funding under the program will be capped at $10 million each financial year.
Applications open 1 July 2019 and close at 5.00pm (ACST) on 30 September 2019.
How can Nexia help you?
To discuss whether this grant may be available to you, or for assistance with applying, contact your trusted Nexia Advisor.
1 - Wine Australia 2018 Cellar Door & Direct to Consumer Research https://www.wineaustralia.com/market-insights/cellar-door-and-direct-to-consumer-survey-report
2 - The power of the cellar door by Norrelle Goldring, April 23 2019 https://www.insideretail.com.au/news/the-power-of-the-cellar-door-201904